Mining Rheology and Slurry Flow
Rheology and slurry flow services from SGS use state-of-the-art rheological testing and procedures to characterize the flow of slurries in many industrial processes.
Rheology is the science of the flow of matter. The flow behavior of process slurries impacts energy and mass transfer-based unit operations. Processes that involve physical separation of liquids from solids and of solids from solids (i.e. slurries) are also rheology dependent.
Rheometallurgy applies these principals in a practical fashion to develop design criteria for metallurgical installations. The rheological properties of feed slurries:
- Are a decisive factor in the success or failure of projects
- Impact enormously in the economics of full-scale plants
- Help guide optimized equipment selection including pump sizing
Potential Applications of Rheology
- Defining optimum pumping conditions for slurry transport provides direct design criteria. Typical examples include:
- Pumping of concentrates, beneficiated products and tailings for disposal
- Pump sizing
- Paste characterization
- Slurry handling and screening
- Liquid-solid separation
- Generating high temperature rheology data to characterize the flow of hot slurries. Such data informs the design of heat exchangers, autoclaves, heated holding tanks etc.
- Process rheology and deposit mapping allow for the blending of ore, hence creating the pre-requisites for low cost slurry flow optimization throughout the plant
- Product characterization – effective rheology testing provides you with correct mass balances, accurate process design data and efficient process conditions in operation
- Reaction monitoring and control and traditional engineering design
We use state-of-the-art rheological testing equipment and procedures. We can test a wide variety of ore, waste and chemical process slurries. We offer:
- Rheology testing using standardized operating equipment
- Design and development of specialized testwork to support slurry transport, solid liquid separation and pump scale-up
- Data analysis by mathematical models
- Recommendation of plant operating procedures
- Preparation of design criteria for metallurgical processes and equipment sizing
Rheology Testing with SGS
A thorough rheological understanding of any slurry system is needed because flow properties influence the economics of any continuous operation involving mineral, metallurgical and chemical process slurries. Our experts:
- Generate rheology data early in a project screening of unit processes for the proper allocation of project resources to the most effective process
- Use test protocols established over many years of experience, allowing us to consistently achieve accurate test results
- Provide expert data interpretation, leading to the selection of accurate process rheology design criteria and to solutions to project challenges
- Have developed a comprehensive rheology database for minerals and metallurgical materials for benchmarking purposes
- Have the depth of expertise to integrate process, environmental, analytical and mineralogical testing with rheological studies on a project-specific or stand-alone basis to give you the data you need to make informed decisions
Contact SGS today to find out more about our rheology and slurry flow services.